5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  
  • Bud’s momma is an ideal mother
  • Suhyen
    2015.12.07 11:41:08 96
  • 51K+UXQTQiL.jpg-  After reading Bud, Not Buddy

Sometimes the character who has never shown in the novel could take an enormous role in the whole story. Angela Janet Caldwell (Calloway) is one of the most suitable models in the upper mention. Even though, the main protagonist Bud is leading the story, Angela’s sound worldviews can be found from place to place in the book. We can assume that Angela might have a tough time living with her precious son Bud based on her son’s stating his memory of the mother. Our aim is to highlight several aspects of Angela’s contribution to Bud. We shall now examine in more detail.

The initial motive for our stand that is exceptionally evident to everyone is that Angela is enlightening the importance of the family to Bud. Angela left her home cause of very strict treatment of her father. “I (Bud) said, "My mother said the same thing that families should be there for each other all the time. She always used to tell me that no matter where I went or what I did that she'd be there for me, even if she wasn't somewhere that I could see her. She told me …"” (72). This emphasis on family tidiness might be due to her guilty of leaving her family when she was nineteen “I (Bud) said, "No, sir, she (Angela) was old, but her eyes didn't go bad yet. She was twenty when I was born, and she was twenty-six when she died"” (159). She might want her son not to act like her. That is why she might be consistently emphasizing the importance of having a quality time with the family. In addition, she used to think about her father and whenever she happens to her father’s trace, and she got very dismayed. “I(Bud) remember Momma bringing this flyer with her when she came from working one day, I remember because she got very upset when she put it on the supper table and kept looking at it and picking it up and putting it back and moving it around. I was only six then and couldn't understand why this one got her so upset, she kept four others that were a lot like it in her dressing table, but this one really got her jumpy” (7-8). This could be a tiny example of her realizing the significance of family.

Possibly, one more cause exists in the reality that she is trying to let Bud know the life lesson about the importance of reading and industry through her showing reading books to him and constant working figure. Most of the parents tend to force their children to do something which the parents themselves do not follow their rules such as limiting the time of watching television and keeping the hour of rising. However, she is different. “But I was being just like Bret Rabbit in one of the books Momma used to read to me at night when he yelled out” (17), “She (Librarian) said, "Of course you may. You know, after I went home last night I finally recognized you. Didn't you and your mother used to come in here a long time ago?", "Yes, ma'am" ” (89). Otherwise, we can see her diligence. “Everything moved very, very fast when Momma was near, she was like a tornado, never resting, always looking around us, never standing still. The only time stuff didn't blow around when she was near was when she'd squeeze my arms and tell me things over and over and over and over”(41).

The third most significant reason for us is the fact that she let Bud know how to access his relative. With her inheritance-flyers, scribbled stones and most of all, her teaching to Bud when she was alive-, Bud could go through a tough situation and finally he could meet his grandfather. “I stuck my hand out. Both Mr. Jimmy and Herman E. Calloway said, "Your momma?", "Yes, sir." I kept my hand out. Mr. Jimmy said, "Bud, where did your mother get these?" I said, "I don't know, sir. She always had them."”(211-212). The author maybe wanted to deliver some educational lessons through Bud’s mother. We can say that he adequately achieved what he was trying to transfer to us.

댓글 3 ...

scmhsw

2015.12.09 14:36

I was impressed when I read the book. I focused what Bud said, what a great attitude of him. And also I supposed its situation; 1930's in the U.S, and some complicated circumstaces and changes, that's why Angela couldn't stand and left her only father. I thought that it is just circumstance... However, after I read this article, the point of view is also very impressed.
    All of the reasons of Bud are based on his mother, Angela. It is very interesting.
    Thank you for your good job.
    추천: 1 / 0
  • Suhyen

2015.12.10 14:31

Thank you for your reply. The influences of mother to the siblings seem to immense.
  • 쭌짱

2016.01.01 22:59

감사합니다.
https://www.englishow.co.kr/39343144
no image
  • 레인메이커
  • 작성자의 별점이 한개 이상은 있어야 합니다.
    (작성자 별점 추가하는법...)
  • 사실저는 상급실력은 안되지만 읽고 싶어서 우격다짐으로 읽었습니다. 당연히 많은 유전학, 생물학, 고생물학, 컴퓨터 용어, 수학용어 등이 난무합니다 처음 한번 읽는데 6개월 정도 걸린거 같아요 그래도 한번 다읽...
2015-11-20 17:28:13
Nov.20
thumbnail
  • remo
    (작성자 별점 추가하는법...)
  • 요즘 제가 읽고 있는 책입니다  Shadow Children. 2권까지 읽고 3권째 읽고 있습니다.  배경이 현존하지 않는 사회이기는 한데 뭐 현실이랑 별반 틀리게 보이지 않습니다.  국가와 소수의 가진자들을  위한 정책들과...
2015-11-01 15:20:27
Nov.01
no image
  • 레인메이커
    (작성자 별점 추가하는법...)
  • 제가 첨으로 완독한 오스카와일드의 행복한 왕자 입니다. 당시 내용을 모르고 읽어서 엄청 감동깊은 결말이 생각납니다.  
2015-11-20 17:32:33
Nov.20
thumbnail
  • 바비창
    (작성자 별점 추가하는법...)
  • 일단 청소년 소설이고요, 할아버지와 손녀 사이의 정이라 해야되나.. 그런 비슷한 주제에요 ㅋㅋ 배경을 묘사하는 어휘가 많아서 생활영어나 어학시험 영어에 비해 단어가 생소합니다. 제 첫 원서라 묘사의 아름다움...
2015-10-04 17:16:58
Oct.04
no image
  • tart
    (작성자 별점 추가하는법...)
  •  Eve Dallas 여형사가 주인공인 범죄소설을 표방한 로맨스 소설입니다. 어린 친구들에겐 추천하지 않습니다. 좀 19금이 나오거든요.   저는 스릴러와 추리소설을 좋아합니다. 로맨스를 싫어하지 않지만 어쩐지 로맨스...
2015-07-14 09:31:35
Jul.14
태그
웹사이트에 게시된 파일 및 자료의 질 및 내용에 대해서 보증하지 않으며, 이에 대한 판단의 책임은 이용자 본인에게 있습니다.
Copyright 2011 ⓒ www.englishow.co.kr. All rights reserved.